May 25, 2011

I Spy Portraits

When I see a room I like, I dissect it: I look at each individual element to figure out what exactly it is about the room that attracts me. That's where the "I Spy" posts come in. The "I Spy" posts are design elements or trends that have caught my eye. Portraits are something I see reoccurring in rooms I like. And not just any type of portrait. They all seem to have a similar look: faded, dull acrylic or oil paintings of a somewhat somber looking person, usually a woman. Am I the only one noticing this? Looks like something you'd pick up for 5 bucks at a garage sale or flea market; however, I never seem to find them. I keep wondering what would draw me to a painting of someone I don't even know. Maybe it gives a room a human element? A cozy factor? Why would someone want to hang a picture in their home of some random lady? I like the idea, love the look, I want to embrace this idea, but I just can't live with a stranger. I guess I'll have to commission some somber portraits of my friends and family.

photo
photo
photo
photo
photo

This last photo is of Amy Butler's house-- one of my longtime textile heros.
I'll be featuring her soon. Her house is AMAZING. You have to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

c'mon, don't be shy...